Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thursday Happy Hour - A Dewby Brother Travel Experience



Mrs. Dewby and I were fortunate enough to spend the New Years Holiday in the Bay Area of California with good friends. Now if you are anything like me a vacation is not a vacation without a little dewby. In my younger more naive days, I would just hop on the plane with my dewby firmly planted on my thigh and really not think twice about it. However, as I have grown older I have realized this could have significant consequences if I were to get caught at security and have since relied on trying to attain my dewby once I am at my destination.

The great state of California is great for so many reasons. Great weather, great outdoor adventures at the finger tip, great wine throughout the state and yes great dewby readily available. In most regions of the United States, the law of supply and demand rings true when it comes to marijuana. Too much demand and too little supply and therefore usually a fair amount of problems for the average person to locate quality pot at a reasonable price. In California at least from my experience there seems to be much more equilibrium between the demand and supply side. It seems everyone is one degree away from a good bag.

I decided to put this theory to the test upon my arrival at SFO. I was very curious to how long it would take from the time I initiated my request to the time I would be sitting waiting for the vaporizer to warm and subsequently attain the buzz I had long awaited since my departure from the Midwest. Here is how the sequence of events unfolded.

1) Arrived in the rental car at my good friends apartment in Oakland at 7:00 P.M.
2) Asked my future Dewby Brother about locating a bag for the week at 7:05 P.M.
3) Future Dewby Brother tells me he will be able to get one the next day. I'm thinking this is all well and good but I was really hoping to have some before we went out for the evening. After all this is Oakland. But I am a visitor staying in his apartment and didn't want to throw a fit.
4) I politely suggest maybe he can ask his new roommate if he knows of anyone who could get this before we head out. It is about 7:15 at this point on the day of arrival.
5) He asks his roommate and his roommate makes a phone call. The roommate comes back and says I can have it within the next 5 minutes. In my mind, I assume we will need to drive all throughout Oakland and the actual time will be much longer than the 5 minutes promised. We are meeting friends in a very short amount of time and therefore do not have the luxury to spend an hour or more to locate this dewby. Time stamp at this point 7:20.
6) I decide to place the order at 7:20
7) 7:30 Bag is in hand and vaporizer is warming.
8) 7:45 We are crunked!
9) 8:00 In route to meeting friends on time and happy as can be.


How does this happen? Well it helps the supplier literally lives across the street. I don't think this is some kind of luck, it is just a different part of the country with different views on marijuana. In actuality it would have been within 5 minutes but we had to drive to the bank and that cost us the precious 5 minutes. Second with dispensaries everywhere in the bay area, suppliers with a prescription card always have supply. Third everyone knows somebody who has high quality pot.

Another nice feature of buying pot in California is that you can buy in 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 or more. For me who did not need much because of all the various activities planned for the week it was nice to be able to get 1/16 and know I wouldn't be wasting any. As it turned out this was quite a nice experience and thumbs up to California for doing there part in making this a quick, easy and overall positive dewby experience.

2 comments:

  1. You know, there's a neighborhood in downtown Oakland dubbed "Oaksterdamn". They've set up medicinal marijuana shops and coffeehouses. Last year, they brought in $20 million in revenue. If it were federally taxed that one little neighborhood would have brought in $4 million in taxes. Can you imagine the amount of tax revenue our beloved crop could bring in throughout the country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like this could be the stimulus package promised to us. Lets think outside the box. Just wait for my "How to save Detroit" post.

    ReplyDelete